The skin around your eyes is one of the first, and often the most visible, areas to show aging. The skin tissue in this area is extremely thin and delicate. As you age, the skin around your eye becomes even thinner, resulting in dark circles, bags, swelling and crow’s feet. These age-related conditions can make a person look tired, ill and older.
While genetics and gravity play a big role in how skin ages, there are some things you can do to improve your eye skin health and prevent further damage.
- Sun! We can’t say it enough – exposing skin to harmful rays is one of the leading causes of premature aging in the skin. Always wear sunscreen, even during the winter months. Chose a broad-spectrum sunscreen and re-apply as directed. We offer Mirabile M.D. MedCosmetic SolarProtect Moisturizer SPF 25. Patients love the non-greasy formula and that it serves as a daily moisturizer too.
- Stop smoking. Or better yet, never start. In addition to a lengthy list of health concerns, smoking ages you! Compared to non-smokers, those who smoke generally have deeper wrinkles and droopier skin around the eyes.
- Eat well. Skin has a big job and it’s constantly working to repair and regenerate. Just like the rest of your body, your skin needs to be ‘fed’ with healthy, antioxidant-rich foods. Aim for at least 5 servings of fresh fruits and vegetables each day.
- Invest in a quality, at-home skin care regimen. At Mirabile M.D. MedCosmetic we teach our patients about the importance of an at-home skin care regimen. We offer a number of pharmaceutical-grade products that are affordable and effective. We work with each patient to design a program that fits their needs. The Clarisonic Opal has become a favorite among our patients and staff. The Opal has been shown to visibly improve the skin tissue around the eye. The Opal offers immediate and long lasting hydration and provides firmer, tighter looking skin immediately after use. Studies show that eye puffiness is visibly reduced after 4-weeks of continuous Opal use; and improvement in skin elasticity, fine lines and wrinkles after 8-weeks of continuous use! How does it work? The Opal gently infuses anti-aging serum into the outer layers of the skin at 7,500 micro-massages a minute. With manual application, products remain closer to the surface. The Opal allows products to penetrate deeper beneath the skin surface where it matters most.
- Consider medical spa services. At Mirabile MD MedCosmetic, we offer a number of treatments that specifically target and improve the skin around your eye. Give us a call to schedule your complimentary consultation.
Source for a portion of this blog post: WebMD