If you have ever sought treatments like laser hair removal or Botox, you have likely encountered a medical spa. According to americanmedspa.org, a medical spa is “a hybrid between a doctor’s office and a day spa. Medical spas operate under the full-time supervision of a licensed medical professional in a spa-like setting. When visiting a medical spa, patients can be pampered with traditional spa services as well as medical services such as Botox, laser hair removal, and medical-grade skin therapies. The medical professionals at the med spa are licensed, educated, and trained in medical procedures and treatments provided.”
Medical spa openings are on the rise. According to the International Medical Spa Association, an estimated 700 U.S. clinics existed in 2007. By 2013, that number increased to 4,500. Newer technology and patient demand are among the top reasons for the increase.
How can you be sure of the efficacy and safety of your medical spa? According to About.com, here are 5 questions you should ask before choosing medical spa.
- Who owns and operates the medical spa? Is it owned by a doctor? Is he or she actually on premises? Note: by law, a Medical Spa in the state of Kansas must be owned by a physician.
- Who will be performing the procedure? What is the licensing and training of people who are actually doing the services? How long have they been doing the procedure?
- What kind of equipment do they use? When did they buy it?
- What will this treatment realistically do for me?
- How many treatments will I need to see results?
Mirabile M.D. MedCosmetic has been providing medical spa services since 1999. As MedCosmetic’s owner and on-site physician, James Mirabile M.D. , reviews and approves all medical spa treatments offered by his staff and continuously invests in the newest technology and training. The MedCosmetic team has built a reputation on honesty and integrity. We welcome your questions and offer each patient complimentary skin analysis and consultation. To celebrate our 15th Birthday, we’re offering patients 15% off all regular priced services and skin care products during the month of July 2014. Call our office for full details: 913.888.7546.