What is Bio-Identical Hormone Replacement Therapy?
Bio-identical hormones are specifically compounded to identically match what your body once produced. No horse urine, no fillers. Just pure and simple. Bio-Identical Hormone Therapy is not a one size fits all. When done properly, BHRT is easy, safe and effective.
The Mirabile M.D. Difference
At Mirabile M.D., we’re happy to offer Kansas City bioidentical hormone replacement therapy to men and women. Led by founder James Mirabile, M.D., FACOG our focus is not simply on prescribing, but on combining the appropriate dosage and delivery method to balance a patient’s hormones. Each person is different, and their needs change over time. This is why it’s important to have an individualized program designed for each patient.
Don’t let the words hormone replacement therapy scare you. This isn’t about synthetic pharmaceuticals or even natural hormones found in plants used in other forms of hormone therapy. This is about the hormones estrogen and testosterone that are 100 percent identical to those created by the human body. Yes, they are made from botanicals, but compounded to precisely match the molecular structure of human hormone for hormone replacement therapy.
Dr. Mirabile and his team of Nurse Practitioners are fully trained and highly experienced in the field of BHRT. After an office visit to discuss symptoms and lab work, our team will determine dosage and work with you to determine the best method for your lifestyle. We work with a number of specialty compound pharmacies to ensure you’re getting the highest quality, cost effective therapy. Our team administers BHRT men via SottoPelle pellet therapy, and in women via:
- Pellet therapy, via SottoPelle®
While any form of BHRT is a step in the right direction when your hormones are imbalanced, certain methods may work better for you than others. Each person is different, and their needs may change over time. This is why it is important to have an individualized program designed for each person.
Benefits of BHRT in Men and Women
Restoring a person’s hormonal balance helps to alleviate common symptoms, improve overall health and create a sense of well-being that may be missing. BHRT patients report:
• Enhancement of libido and/or increased sexual drive
• An increase in lean body mass and a decrease in body fat
• Greater capacity for getting in shape
• Consistency in moods – reduction in feelings of anger, nervousness and irritability
• Increased mental focus, clarity and concentration
• Improved memory
• Increase sense of overall well-being
• Better quality of life
• Decreased hot flashes and night sweats in women
BHRT What Patients Need to Know
- When first starting Bio-Identical Hormone Replacement Therapy, or BHRT, you need to take your compound daily for a minimum of four weeks.
- You will need to order a refill from your pharmacy to ensure you have enough medication to last until your follow-up appointment.
- Follow-up labs should be drawn approximately five weeks from when you started your medication. If you normally take a dose in the morning, skip morning dose or wait at least six hours before having labs drawn.
- If you have your labs drawn at an outside facility, please bring your results in for your follow-up appointment, or call the day before to ensure we have received a copy.
- You must schedule a follow-up appointment with your provider two weeks after labs are drawn to go over your results and discuss your symptoms so your prescription can be adjusted if needed. Changes to prescriptions are not solely based on your lab results.
- Prescription refills require a call to your pharmacy every six months if you have testosterone included in your prescription, as it is a controlled substance.
” Has hormone therapy changed my life? My joints feel better and I’ve lost 22 pounds and 3 dress sizes. True, I have been eating healthier and getting more exercise. But, it’s easier to stick with a new diet when you see results and are able to maintain them. And exercise is much easier when you have the energy to do it. I sleep more soundly and wake up rested. I feel better and am saying yes more often to hiking, dog walks, horseback riding, swimming and time with family and friends. Yes to adventure. Yes to life. It’s not over and there are great years ahead. Has hormone therapy changed my life? My answer is simple after all….Yes.”
–Mona of Overland Park
Menopause is not a single point in time when the ovaries are switched off for good, but occurs in stages over the span of a woman’s reproductive life. It’s a transition that begins and ends with female fertility, and in the process, reshapes the way we think, feel, and act.